lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Embarrasing compilation errors with solr-nightly/example
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:20:39 GMT

On Jun 28, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> Interesting ... it never occured to me that the demo would require a
> JDK instead of a JRE so that Jetty can compile the JSPs ... but it
> makes
> sense.

There are ways to precompile JSP's, but last time I tinkered with
this it was container specific.  Maybe it's gotten better?  There is
an Ant task to do this:

	<http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/jspc.html>

Maybe all is well with container neutral JSP precompilation these
days?!  Wouldn't that be nice!

Another option if the admin section is going to expand dramatically,
is to actually use a web framework such Tapestry, WebWork/Struts, or
even just Velocity's servlet to avoid JSP compilation.

It's not just the demo, it's the admin application altogether that
uses JSPs.  And I sound like such a fanboy, but kudos to the very
handy admin stats page!

Personally, I'd like to see us build out the Ruby tie to Solr so any
admining could be done through Ruby command-line tools and a RoR UI
if need be.  :)

	Erik