lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Faceted Browsing questions
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:16:57 GMT

On Jun 24, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Vish D. wrote:
> Erik, when do you plan on having your implementation refactored
> with "good"
> use of code?

This weekend :)   I have imported more data than my hacked
implementation can handle without bumping up Jetty's JVM heap size,
so I'm now at the point where it is necessary for me to start using
the LRUCache.  Though I have already refactored to use OpenBitSet
instead of BitSet.

> Or, in general, when is Solr planning on having this feature
> out (as I see it on the wiki for near term features)? It might be
> better for
> me to wait and see how the group decides to implement it, rather
> than having
> something done myself and have to drop it at the end. Plus, you guys
> probably have the higher hand when it comes to knowing the details of
> Solr/Lucene, and its re-useable features.

The best way for Solr to get this functionality is for those that
have implemented it in a custom fashion to get together and
generalize it, so that we have a proven architecture that is
configurable enough to handle real world situations.  My
implementation is still being ironed out.  And it does rely on custom
request handlers to utilize the facets and return back the counts per
facet.

	Erik