lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: add/update index
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:16:55 GMT
On 7/27/06, Tricia Williams <pgwillia@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I have created a process which uses xsl to convert my data to the form
> indicated in the examples so that it can be added to the index as the solr
> tutorial indicates:
> <add>
>    <doc>
>      <field name="field">value</field>
>    </doc>
> </add>
>
>     In some cases the xsl process will create a field element with no data.
> (ie <field name="field"/>)  Is this considered bad input and will not be
> accepted?

If the desired semantics are "the field doesn't exist" or "null value"
then yes.  There isn't a way to represent a field without a value in
Lucene except to not add the field for that document.  If it's totally
ignored, it probably shouldn't be in the XML.

Now, one might think we could drop fields with no value, but that's
problematic because it goes against the XML standard:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-starttags
[Definition: An element with no content is said to be empty.] The
representation of an empty element is either a start-tag immediately
followed by an end-tag, or an empty-element tag. [Definition: An
empty-element tag takes a special form:]

does look like Solr should treat <field name="val"/> like a
zero-length string (but that's not what you wanted, right?)

-Yonik