lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Extending Solr's Admin functionality
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:25:22 GMT
Hello,

I may need to add functionality to Solr's admin pages.  The functionality that I'm looking
to add is the ability to trigger certain indexing functions and monitor their progress.  I'm
wondering if people have thoughts about the best way to do this.  Here are my initial ideas:

1. Add additional admin screens/JSPs, make them call custom classes that trigger indexing
(e.g. go to a DB, retrieve some data, index it, maybe optimize when done), have that execute
in a separate thread, and have these classes call Solr via custom HTTP requests that report
progress, so that this progress/status can be viewed through another admin page for monitoring
of this stuff.

2. Forget about triggering things from the UI.  Write generic/command-line-type classes, have
them invoked independently of Solr, but still have them call Solr via custom HTTP requests
that report progress, so that this progress/status can be viewed through another admin page
for monitoring of this stuff.

I like 1, because everything is contained in Solr, but I fear it may be hard to maintain this
extended version with Solr, unless the stuff I write ends up being generic enough that I can
contribute it back.  I guess 2 would have some of these problems because I'd still need an
admin page for monitoring.

Any thoughts?
Has anyone already envisioned a good way to extend Solr's functionality with custom admin
screens?

Thanks,
Otis