lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Eivind Hasle Amundsen <eivi...@ifi.uio.no>
Subject Re: SolrCore as Singleton?
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:47:46 GMT
> If there is no specific reason for making it a Singleton, I'd vote for
> removing this so that the
> SolrCore(dataDir, schema) constructor could be used to instantiate
> multiple cores.

I agree with your arguments. However (although being new to Solr) there
is more than one way to do it, I think.

To be more specific it seems that using several different indexes with
individual datadirs and schemas is very useful, based on my impression
that many enterprise users seem to want this functionality. It is not
difficult to imagine such a usage pattern or implementation, in its
abstract sense, of Solr for almost all uses.

However (and this is where most you guys should fill me in), it could be
wasteful to run multiple complete instances. Could information be shared
in some way between the instances to save on resources? Perhaps what I
am really trying to say here, is that we have to look at the whole model
when considering how to implement better support for the desired usage
pattern outlined above.

Eivind