lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Imbeault <michael.imbea...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Facet performance with heterogeneous 'facets'?
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 02:07:04 GMT
Been playing around with the news 'facets search' and it works very
well, but it's really slow for some particular applications. I've been
trying to use it to display the most frequent authors of articles; this
is from a huge (15 millions articles) database and names of authors are
rare and heterogeneous. On a query that takes (without facets) 0.1
seconds, it jumps to ~20 seconds with just 1% of the documents indexed
(I've been getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with the full index). ~40
seconds for a faceted search on 2 (string) fields. Range queries on a
slong field is more acceptable (even with a dozen of them, query time is
still in the subsecond range).

I'm I trying to do something which isn't what faceted search was made
for? It would be understandable, after all, I guess the facets engine
has to check very doc in the index and sort... which shouldn't yield
good performance no matter what, sadly.

Is there any other way I could achieve what I'm trying to do? Just a
list of the most frequent (top 5) authors present in the results of a query.

Thanks,

--
Michael Imbeault
CHUL Research Center (CHUQ)