lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Solr Newbie question: doubts about dynamic filed
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:49:32 GMT

: > I have some doubts about dynamic fields,  when we add a doc with a new
: > dynamic filed, this new dynamic filed is only "append" to doc's that will
: > have it defined in the xml, or for every document in the index?
:
: Just for documents that the field appears in.

the one thing to keep an eye on however is the "omitNorms" option on your
fields and field types ... in my experience, it makes sense to set it to
true for a large majority of dynamicFields, particularaly when you are
dealing with a lot of heterogenous document types.  it's really only an
issue for keeping your index size down, and it's very possibly that you
care more about having norms then you do about index size, but it's a
question you allways want to ask yourself when creating a dynamic field.

-Hoss