lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Facet performance with heterogeneous 'facets'?
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:07:42 GMT
On 9/18/06, Michael Imbeault <michael.imbeault@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Been playing around with the news 'facets search' and it works very
> well, but it's really slow for some particular applications. I've been
> trying to use it to display the most frequent authors of articles

I noticed this too, and have been thinking about ways to fix it.
The root of the problem is that lucene, like all full-text search
engines, uses inverted indicies.  It's fast and easy to get all
documents for a particular term, but getting all terms for a document
documents is either not possible, or not fast (assuming many documents
match a query).

For cases like "author", if there is only one value per document, then
a possible fix is to use the field cache.  If there can be multiple
occurrences, there doesn't seem to be a good way that preserves exact
counts, except maybe if the number of documents matching a query is
low.

-Yonik