lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan McKinley" <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split one string into many fields
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 03:19:08 GMT

> > I want something that is equivalent to splitting the string on the
> > client side and filling multiple *fields* not just tokens.
>
> Oh, I was talking about indexing only.

aaah.

> Why is it that multiple fields are needed?  Multiple tokens are
> indistinguishable from multiple fields during search.

When the app displays search results, it shows a list of subjects.
(from the returned doc list).  That should be split properly.
(Ideally without knowledge of the schema)

> Actually splitting things into different fields normally happens in
> the client (outside Solr), or in a specialized handler (like CSV, SQL,
> etc).

In the case I'm looking at, it would be cleaner and more safe to have
it on the server side...

I guess i have to wait for the "Update Plugins" discussion to wind down!