lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Using HTTP-Post for Queries
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:13:36 GMT

On Jan 20, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 1/19/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>> Also consider that I expect Solr to support the XMLQueryParser at
>> some point in the near future
>
> I had always planned on supporting an XML query format, but I never
> got a chance to review the XMLQueryParser now in Lucene to see if I
> like it.  Do you?

Actually I've not yet tried it, only observed the code via commit e-
mails.  I like that it allows the query to be specified exactly,
without meta syntax and escaping getting in the way.  And it also
supports span queries.

> In the back of my mind, I've been thinking about *how* to support
> multiple query syntaxes.
> trying to add new parameters everywhere specifying the type doesn't
> seem like a great idea (way too many places).
> It would be nice if the type of the query syntax could be expressed in
> the query string itself... no necessity for any new params (although
> it wouldn't preclude them).
>
> Something like the way xml does it perhaps?
>
> <?xml...> <BooleanQuery>...
> <?surround>the actuall surround syntax
> <?qp>foo:bar -baz:taz
> foo:bar   #default is lucene query syntax

Good point.  Yeah, it does make sense for the query type to be part
of the query string itself.  There are lots of places that a
QueryParser expression can currently be used (&q=, &fq= with standard
requests, and other places with dismax).

	Erik