lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Searching multiple indices (solr newbie)
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 14:43:03 GMT

On Jan 5, 2007, at 1:59 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : The issue is best described with an example:
> : search for canon - matches multiple categories, which will have very
> : different schemas
> : http://cnet.search.com/search?
> chkpt=astg.cnet.fd.search.cnet&q=canon&tag=srch
>
> I just so happen to have a bit of insight into how that page works,
> and
> while it's true that it queries multiple indexes with differnet
> schemas,
> it makes no attepts to merge the results -- the "product" results come
> from one index, the "features" come from another, the "downloads" come
> from a third, the "blogs" come from a forth, etc...  but all of hte
> "products" are from a single index, even if the products are in
> differnet
> categories (ie: cameras vs printers) they are still kept in a
> single index
> with a single schema -- but dynamicFields are used to store category
> specific fields, so that if you are doing a category specific search,
> category specific filters can be offered to you...
>
> http://shopper.cnet.com/4144-6501_9-0-1.html?query=canon

Could you elaborate a bit more about how the front-end and back-end
work to communicate the category specific filters?

Showing *all* facets from the start can be unnecessarily too much for
a user to navigate, so I'm interested in how to develop a system that
can adjust the facets shown based on context a bit more elegantly.

Thanks,
	Erik