lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wunderw...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: real-time updates
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:46:37 GMT
On 1/24/07 1:15 AM, "Ryan McKinley" <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it an ok idea to design an app with solr where you assume data will
> be indexed immediately?  For example, after a user uploads an image -
> immediately use solr to search a collection that will include this new
> image?
>
> Essentially I'm asking if it ok to call <commit/>  often.  Up to many
> times / second from multiple sources.

You can do that, but Solr will flush the query cache on every
commit, so this will hurt performance. Also, a commit is more
expensive than an update, so that will use more CPU for indexing.
Doing a commit once every ten seconds or every thousand docs
(for example) would be a lot more efficient.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Search Guru, Netflix