lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: result grouping?
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:09:10 GMT
On 1/3/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks.  Yes, the presentation layer could group results, but that is
> not practical if i want to show the first 20 results out of 200,000
> matches.
>
> Nutch groups the results by site.  Any idea how they do it?

Good question.
Off the top of my head, one could use a priority queue that can change
it's size dynamically.  One could increment a group count for each hit
(like faceted search with the FieldCache) and if the group count
exceeds "n", then you increment the size of the priority queue to
allow an additional item to be collected to compensate.

-Yonik