lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: real-time updates
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:32:14 GMT
On 1/24/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it an ok idea to design an app with solr where you assume data will
> be indexed immediately?  For example, after a user uploads an image -
> immediately use solr to search a collection that will include this new
> image?
 >
> Essentially I'm asking if it ok to call <commit/>  often.  Up to many
> times / second from multiple sources.

Really depends on your collection size, the query rate, and what your
tolerance is for queries that might take longer sometimes.

I'd cut way down or remove any autowarming.
If you normally sort by a field, you might want that as a single
static warming query.  The first sort on a field populates the
fieldCache and that can take some time.

Is it really the case that stuff needs to be *immediately* searchable
(as in, computer immediately), or do you just want a user to be able
to search for something they just added (in which case, at least
seconds should be OK, not fractions of a second).

-Yonik