lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan McKinley" <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: merely a suggestion: schema.xml validator or better schema validation logging
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:29:54 GMT
> : I had silent a error that I can't remember the details of, but it
> : was something like putting the <str> for boost functions outside
> : the <lst>. It didn't blow up, but it was a nonsense config that
> : was accepted.
>
> again, there's nothing erroneous about having a <str> outside of a <lst>
> when specifing the init params of a RequestHandler as far as SolrCore is
> concerned ... it has no idea what types of init params the RequestHandler
> wants ... and the StandardRequestHandler could say that if it sees
> any top level init params which aren't "defaults", "invarients" or
> "appended" then it could complain ... but again: what if i subclass
> StandardRequestHandler and i want to add some custom init param to
> determine behavior in my subclass?

One trick i have used elsewhere is to output the loaded config and
compare it to the initalazation config - if they are different, there
may be a problem.

We could pretty easily add a utility method like this to
RequestHandlerBase and let RequestHandler's 'validate' their config in
init() - It would not be an automatic thing that applies to every
request handler, but adding some validation to DisMaxRequestHandler
and  StandardRequestHandler would take care of most problems
(especially for beginners)

ryan