lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jed Reynolds <li...@benrey.is-a-geek.net>
Subject Re: JVM random crashes
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:08:03 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Dimitar Ouzounov <dimitar.ouzounov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But what hardware problem could it be? Tomorrow I'll make sure that the
>> memory is fine, but nothing
>> else comes to my mind.
>
> Memory, motherboard, etc.
> Try http://www.memtest86.com/ to test this.
>
>> It may be OS-related - probably a buggy version of
>> some library. But which library?
>
> Yep, we've seen that in the past.
> I'd recommend going with OS versions that vendors test with.
> The commercial RHEL or the free clone of it http://www.centos.org/,
> would be my recommendation.

I'm running a lot of CentOS 4.4 myself, on i686 and x86_64 processors.
I'm testing out Solr on an i686 with JDK 1.5 and I'm running a
production copy of Nutch on x86_64 JDK 1.5, Tomcat 1.5. It's been rock
solid.

 From trying to install Java in the past on FC5, I read a lot about how
you had to be rather careful to make absolutely certain that you had no
conflicting gjc libs in your path. If this is a production box, I'd got
with a longer-supported OS than FC6. If the server is only for searching
and apache, I don't think FC6 will give you any noticeable performance
boost over CentOS 4.4. FC6's performance enhancements with
glibc-hash-binding won't affect a JVM.

Jed