lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Kaan Erdener <kerde...@rackspace.com>
Subject improve performance after commit
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:49:13 GMT
hello,

I'm looking for some tips / suggestions around reducing the query
time for Solr after I've post'ed a commit request. My Lucene index
contains around 2,000,000 documents, and I have a job that
periodically removes artibrary documents from Lucene and replaces
them with fresh copies from a database. Whenever that cycle occurs, I
send a commit to Solr to expose the updates. The problem is that
immediately after the commit, a Solr query that previously took
5-20ms now takes 20-25 seconds. Ouch.

I know that commit can be expensive, although I don't know by how
much, or what I might do to mitigate the expense. I haven't much doc
around this topic. I've also tried different cache settings
(basically using high values for cache and auto-warm sizes) but that
doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I'll keep investigating on my own, but if anyone has any suggestions
or additional info, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
Kaan

expressly indicated, is confidential and privileged information of Rackspace
Managed Hosting. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed
material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse@rackspace.com, and delete the
original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.