lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Boosting one copyField contributor
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:46:00 GMT
Hi all,

When creating a combo field for searching, is there any
straight-forward way to boost the contribution of one of the fields
being used to create the combined field?

I'd read the past threads about this, and there didn't seem to be
anything built in to Solr.

A simple hack I did was to copy the field multiple times - e.g. have:

    <copyField source="field-to-boost" dest="combo-field"/>
    <copyField source="field-to-boost" dest="combo-field"/>
    <copyField source="field-to-boost" dest="combo-field"/>

in the schema, so that "field-to-boost" has an effective boost of 3x.
Since I don't do highlighting or display for this multi-value field,
that seems to work OK as long as this very course level of boosting
(2x, 3x, etc) was acceptable.

Is the above something that should continue to work in the future?
Are there issues with this approach that I haven't run into yet?

Thanks,

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler