lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: case sensitivity
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:53:49 GMT

On Apr 26, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Michael Kimsal wrote:
> I've looked through the mailing lists and can't find much of anything
> regarding case sensitivity.  It
> seems SOLR is case sensitive by default - I'm using the default
> settings
> with a very basic schema - just text fields.

All depends on the analysis you have set up for the fields.  If
you're indexing "string"-type fields in the default example schema,
there is effectively no analysis so searches must be exact matches
case and all.

> Is there any way to tell the query parser to be case insensitive
> during a
> query?  Or do I have to reindex
> all my data again with lowercase values?

Terms are indexed in a case-sensitive manner, so if you need case
insensitivity you need to lowercase on the way in and on querying.

	Erik