lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From RJ Tang <rjt...@yahoo.com>
Subject related multivalued fields
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 15:40:20 GMT
I am a newbie to Solr and found it very easy to get started!
However, now I am stuck at this issue of dealing with correlated vector fields.
for example
the data on scientific publications. It will have a list of authors and their
respective organization. Sample data can be represented as:
<publication>
 <title>Toward better searching</title>
 <author>
    <name>John Smith</name>
    <organization>ACME</organization>
 <author>
    <name>Mary Ann</name>
    <organization>Jumbo Inc</organization>
 <author>
<publication>

How can I make Solr handle query like:
author:"John Smith" AND organization:"ACME"?

It seems I have to collapse the above sample into:
<publication>
  <title>....</title>
  <author_name>John Smith, Mary Ann<author_name>
  <author_organization>ACME, Jumbo Inc</author_organization>
</publication>
Which obviously won't give me the answer I wanted.

This seems like a generic problem in handling hierarchical data
and right now I am hitting a roadblock in that solr only handles
flat scalar field values.

Would like to hear your suggestion/experience on how to handle the problem.

Regards,
-Jerry