lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Matt Kangas <kan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:11:24 GMT
David,

If "nothing on port 8983 responds", your servlet container is
certainly the first thing that should be checked, because that is
what's listening on port 8983.

First, let's need to figure out what version of Jetty you're using
and how it is started -- which will lead you to the log files, if it
is producing any. When Jetty/Solr is running correctly, try fetching
any page from that host using "curl -I".

Example: here's what I see on my laptop, with Solr running inside Jetty

> shaft:R curl -I http://localhost:8983/
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Server: Jetty(6.1.3)

 From this, I know it's Jetty 6.1.3.

Next, how is Jetty being started? Where is its jetty.xml
configuration file? What does that file specify for RequestLog?

On my laptop, I'm manually starting it via "java -jar start.jar".
On my work hosts, "java -jar start.jar" is being run from daemontools
(unlikely in your case)
Or, Jetty can be invoked without the "start.jar" shortcut. That's
just the default way of starting Solr.

My point is that I can't predict how it's started on your machine.
You need to find out yourself.
On Linux:
- "ps -ef | grep java"
- look at that list, see which java process is the relevant one
- take the parent PID of that process and run "ps -p <value>" to see
what process started it
- repeat until you find the script or program that started Jetty, and
the path to jetty.xml

If the process actually was "java -jar start.jar", then look for an
"etc" subdir in the current working directory for that process.

HTH,
--Matt Kangas

(stepping in to help with what seems to be a panicked-newbie
question...)

--
Matt Kangas / kangas@gmail.com