lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: searching multiple fields
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:59:00 GMT

On 30-Jul-07, at 3:34 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to search multiple fields by default (which is no supported by
> StandardRequestHandler), but I also want to be able to use Lucene's
> boolean syntax (AND/OR/NOT). This doesn't seem to be supported by
> DisMaxRequestHandler. I will need to copy or extend
> StandardRequestHandler
> and modify it, including the query parser it calls, or am I missing an
> easier alternative?

You could write your own request handler, but I think the route that
most people take is to stop using lucene query syntax and move to
dismax params to express requirements.  This also plays better with
caching.

NOT clauses -> fqs

required clauses (either OR or AND) -> q + mm

purely optional clauses -> bq/bf

If you want complicated (read: parenthesized) boolean logic, it's
best to develop your own solution.

-Mike