lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: multiple slaves on the same box
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:41:23 GMT

: Thanks for sharing your experience. We have multiple slaves for load
: balance (performance reason) and failover(in case one server dies or
: hung).

if your goal is reliability and performacne, i can't really think of many
reasons why it would make senseto run multiple slaves of the same master
on the same machine ... they're going to be competing for resources (ram,
network i/o, file i/o, CPU, etc...) and you still have a single point of
failure at the hardware level (ram, network interface, disk, cpu,
motherboard, power supply, etc...)

off the top of my head, the only reasons i can think of to run multiple
slaves of a single ndex on the same physical machine are the same reasons
ryn runs a slave on the same machine as a master: differnet config options
for things that affect queries (caches, request handlers, etc...) and
different rates of re-opening readers (which affects that lifespan objects
in caches)

-Hoss