lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Tagging using SOLR
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:49:00 GMT

On Sep 7, 2007, at 3:09 AM, Doss wrote:
> Thanks for the guidelines, but basically our idea is to build a
> system like
> http://del.icio.us/tag/, is it possible to take counts of similar
> words from
> a solr indexed field?

How do you define similar words?

Here's a tag cloud for a single user in Collex, a system I built:

	<http://www.nines.org/permalink/cloud/tag/nowviskie>

Collex is using SOLR-139 now for tagging/annotating.

You will need to think through handling updates to your documents,
and whether you will have user-specific tags too.  Reading up on the
links I sent you and doing some experimenting is highly recommended.
It's a non-trivial  scenario with Solr at this time.

By the way, a del.icio.us competitor, Simpy, is built on Lucene - so
it is quite possible to build a heavy duty tagging system, but the
devil is in the details.

	Erik