lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Indexing longer documents using Solr...memory issue after index grows to about 800 MB...
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 00:41:54 GMT
On 4-Sep-07, at 4:50 PM, Ravish Bhagdev wrote:

> - I have about 11K html documents to index.
> - I'm trying to index these documents (along with 3 more small string
> fields) so that when I search within the "doc" field (field with the
> html file content), I can get results with snippets or highlights as I
> get when using nutch.
> - While going through Wiki I noticed that if I need to do highlighting
> in a particular field, I have to make sure it is indexed and stored.
>
> But when I try to do the above, after indexing about 3K files which
> creates index of about 800MB (which is fine as files are quite
> lengthy) it keeps giving out of heap space errors.
>
> Things I've tried without much help:
>
> - Increase memory of tomcat
> - Play around with settings like autoCommit (documents and time)
> - Reducing mergefactor to 5
> - Reducing maxBufferedDocs to 100

Merge factor should not affect memory usage.  You say that you
increased memory usage.. but to what?  I've found reducing
maxBuffered Docs decreases my peak memory usage significantly.

> My question is also, if its required to store fields in index to be
> able to do highlighting/returning field content, how does nutch/lucene
> do it without that (because index for same documents created using
> nutch is much much smaller)

Are you sure that it doesn't?  According to:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/nutch/trunk/src/plugin/summary-
basic/src/java/org/apache/nutch/summary/basic/BasicSummarizer.java?
view=markup

nutch does indeed take the stored text and re-analyses it when
generating a summary.  Does nutch perhaps store less content of a
document, or in a different store?

> But also when trying to query partially added documents, when I set
> field highlight on (and a particular field) it doesn't seem to have
> any effect.

Does the field contain a match against one of the terms you are
querying for?

-Mike