lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: solr instances for different content?
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:19:47 GMT
One reason to consider separate indexes is in terms of relevance.  Do
you want content from classifieds effecting the rankings of your news
searches?  May not be an issue for you depending on your term
distributions, but might be something to consider.    As you suspect,
though, having multiple indexes will require more management of the
various instances.  Perhaps you can logically group things to only
have a couple of indexes?  For instance, maybe home, auto, classifieds
are similar in content and structure and news and community-generated
content are similar?

-Grant

On Nov 5, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Tim Archambault wrote:

> Typical newspaper site with: news, jobs, homes, autos, classifieds,
> community-generated content, guestimate of .5 million documents
>
> Do I really need to create a different solr index for each vertical?
> How
> ineffecient is it to add a few additional fields for each content
> type?
>
> Thinking of having a string field name "vertical" that would be used
> segment by verticals above.
>
> My intuition is that most of the additional fields would be numbers:
> integers, prices, decimals.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>
> --
> True innovation is not just about changing a product, a service or
> even a
> marketplace; its also about recognizing and relishing the need to
> change
> yourself.

Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com