lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From swarag <Swarag_S...@citysearch.com>
Subject Re: solr synonyms behaviour
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:27:40 GMT

matt connolly wrote:

> You won't have the multiple word problem if you use synonyms at index time
> instead of query time.
>

> swarag wrote:
>>
>> Here is a basic example of some synonyms in my synonyms.txt:
>> club=>club,bar,night cabaret
>> bar=>bar,club
>>
>> As you can see, a search for 'bar' will return any documents with 'bar'
>> or 'club' in the name. This works fine. However, a search for 'club'
>> SHOULD return any documents with 'club', 'bar' or 'night cabaret' in the
>> name, but it does not. It only returns 'bar' and 'club'.
>>
>> Interestingly, a search for 'night cabaret' gives me all 'night
>> cabaret's, 'bar's and 'club's...which is quite unexpected since I'm using
>> uni-directional synonym config (using the => symbol)
>>
>> Does your config give you my desired behavior?

Is there something I am missing here? This is an excerpt from my schema.xml:
<fieldType name="text" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100">
      <analyzer type="index">
ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/>
words="stopwords.txt" enablePositionIncrements="true"/>
generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="1"
catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="0" splitOnCaseChange="1"/>
        <filter class="solr.EnglishPorterFilterFactory"
protected="protwords.txt"/>
      </analyzer>
      <analyzer type="query">
words="stopwords.txt"/>
generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="0"
catenateNumbers="0" catenateAll="0" splitOnCaseChange="1"/>
        <filter class="solr.EnglishPorterFilterFactory"
protected="protwords.txt"/>
      </analyzer>
    </fieldType>

To my understanding, this means I am using synonyms at index time and NOT
query time. And yet, I am still having these problems with synonyms.