lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Sean Timm <tim...@aol.com>
Subject Re: SOLR Timeout
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:04:50 GMT
If you have a number of long queries running, your system can become CPU
bound resulting in low throughput and high response times.  There are
many ways you can construct a query that will cause it to take a long
time to process, but the SOLR-502 patch can only address the ones where
the work is being done in collect().

Here is a comment on SOLR-502 that hopefully helps answer your questions.
> The timeout is to protect the server side. The client side can be
> largely protected by setting a read timeout, but if the client aborts
> before the server responds, the server is just wasting resources
> processing a request that will never be used. The partial results is
> useful in a couple of scenarios, probably the most important is a
> large distributed complex where you would rather get whatever results
> you can from a slow shard rather than throw them away.
>
> As a real world example, the query "contact us about our site" on a
> 2.3MM document index (partial Dmoz crawl) takes several seconds to
> complete, while the mean response time is sub 50 ms. We've had cases
> where a bot walks the next page links (including expensive queries
> such as this). Also users are prone to repeatedly click the query
> button if they get impatient on a slow site. Without a server side
> timeout, this is a real issue.
>
> Rate limiting and limiting the number of next pages that can be
> fetched at the front end are also part of the solution to the above
> example.

-Sean

McBride, John wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Prior to SOLR 1.3 and nutch patch integration - what actually is  the effect of SOLR
(non)-timeout?  Do the threads eventally die?  DOes a new request cause a new query thread
to open, or is the system locked?