lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Harris" <rygu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Big slowdown with phrase queries
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:13:46 GMT
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Chris Harris <ryguasu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, I only have one segment right now, so I've got one of each of these:
>>
>> .tis file: 730MB
>> .frq files: 9KB
>> .prx file: 26KB
>
> That's pretty much impossible (way too small).  Double check those numbers.

I don't know where I got the above numbers. Sorry. Here are the real numbers:

.tis file: 730MB
.frq files: 10.1 GB
.prx file: 43.2 GB

Now keeping all *that* in RAM, that sounds like a challenge.

> [...]

>> I have to admit I don't know that much about OS disk caching. Can I
>> more or less pretend that the OS uses a least recently used (LRU)
>> algorithm?
>
> Pretty much.
> How much physical RAM do you have?

4GB! It seems like our hardware budget estimate of $0 ("I know, let's
use the existing server!") may have been a little optimistic. =)