lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: First version of solr javascript client to review
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 01:29:41 GMT
Mattias,

Nice start!

One comment....

In test.html:
   new $sj.solrjs.Manager({solrUrl:"http://localhost:8983/solr/
select"});

   It would be better to omit the "/select" from the base URL.
Consider Solr rooted at a particular URL without the request handler
mapping attached to it, and allow the "/select" or "qt=whatever" to be
added at a different stage.  This way SolrJS can attach to any number
of request handlers depending on context.

Ryan commented on using something besides JavaScript to generate HTML
pieces.  One alternative that I propose is to use a
VelocityResponseWriter (see SOLR-620 for a first draft) to generate
the HTML framework which SolrJS can then deal with.  I'm personally
fonder of the bulk of HTML generated server-side, even snippets that
are AJAXed in, leaving SolrJS to mainly deal with widgets and getting
JSON data to them when HTML generation doesn't make sense.  SOLR-620
is still raw, and needs some work to make it really easy to leverage,
but I wanted to toss it out there for folks to improve upon as needed.

Also, consider wiring in a SIMILE Timeline (or perhaps even SIMILE
Exhibit) widget - it'd make for a snazzy example :)  Of course, Google
Maps would make a great example as well.

	Erik