lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Big slowdown with phrase queries
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:30:18 GMT

On 3-Jul-08, at 5:13 PM, Chris Harris wrote:

>> That's pretty much impossible (way too small).  Double check those
>> numbers.
>
> I don't know where I got the above numbers. Sorry. Here are the real
> numbers:
>
> .tis file: 730MB
> .frq files: 10.1 GB
> .prx file: 43.2 GB
>
> Now keeping all *that* in RAM, that sounds like a challenge.

It doesn't have to be *all* in RAM... the OS will figure out what
parts are needed.

One alternative you might consider is using a flash hard drive.
Another is to index bigrams as terms, and do phrase queries using the
conjunction of the bigrams of a phrase.  This should make phrase
queries only a few times slower than term queries, and probably
inflate your .frq to "only" 25GB (.prx could be ignored).

Some other tricks, like stop word removal, also speed up phrase queries.

-Mike