lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Solr Logo thought
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:24:19 GMT
Stephen Weiss wrote:
> My issue with the logos presented was they made solr look like a school
> project instead of the powerful tool that it is.  The tricked out font
> or whatever just usually doesn't play well with the business types...
> they want serious-looking software.  First impressions are everything.
> While the fiery colors are appropriate for something named Solr, you can
> play with that without getting silly - take a look at:
>
> http://www.ascsolar.com/images/asc_solar_splash_logo.gif
> http://www.logostick.com/images/EOS_InvestmentingLogo_lg.gif
>
> (Luckily there are many businesses that do solar energy!)
>
> They have the same elements but with a certain simplicity and elegance.
>
> I know probably some people don't care if it makes the boss or client
> happy, but, these are the kinds of seemingly insignificant things that
> make people choose a bad, proprietary piece of junk over something solid
> and open-source... it's all about appearances!  The people making the
> decision often have little else to go on, unfortunately.

I concur. IMHO you should at least consider how the logo looks like when:

* it's reduced to black & white (e.g. when sending faxes or making copies)

* resized to favicon.ico size,

* resized to an A0 poster size

Many OSS projects for some obscure reason love to use color gradients,
often with broad hue spans - but such gradients rarely look well in
print, exhibiting the banding problem, and they are very easy to corrupt
when transferring images from one media to another. If we absolutely
must use gradients, then at least we should create some logo variants
without gradients - see the SVG file I created in SOLR-84 .

For these reasons I suggest:

* not using gradients

* not using small intricate elements that get lost in logos of small
size - or come up with logos of reduced complexity for smaller size versions

* avoid large splashes of uniform strong color - these look bad on large
logos, like poster-sized.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><