lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From tarjei <tar...@nu.no>
Subject OutOfMemoryErrors
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:38:55 GMT
Hi, I'm having memory problems on one of my Solr slaves:
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@563c7832:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
Java heap space  errors

Jun 17, 2009 1:52:53 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error in xpath:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Jun 17, 2009 1:59:11 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
SEVERE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Jun 17, 2009 2:01:15 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor process
SEVERE: Error finishing response
Jun 17, 2009 2:03:27 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
SEVERE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

This index contains ~7 million documents with 12 fields. One field
containing medium (100 - 6000 words) amounts of text is duplicated to
enable different tokenization. This field is not in use.

When I search against the index, the results are sorted on a Date field.

What I'm wondering about is which of the following steps will have an
effect on my problem:

* Tuning the nr. of autowarming searchers
* Upgrading to the latest nightly to get the improvements in fieldcache
memory usage.
* Splitting the index into two cores on the same box - one for old
entries and one for new, so that the index that gets reloaded would be
smaller.
* Changing the datefield to an int/string field formatted so that it
could be sorted on that.

Any other tips would also be welcome. If I do not come up with anything
else - more RAM will be issued...

Kind regards,
Tarjei