lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Paul Rosen <p...@performantsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Updating a solr record
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:53:29 GMT
Eric Pugh wrote:
> Do you have to "reindex"?  Are you meaning an optimize operation?  You
> can do an "update" by just sending Solr a new record, and letting Solr
> deal with the removing and adding of the data.

The problem is that I can't easily create the new record. There is some
data that I no longer have access to, but did at the time I created the
record to begin with.

> You can just query Solr, find the records that you want (including all
> the website data).  Update them, and then send the entire record back.

This is what I'd like to know how to do. I'll experiment with this, but
I thought that I wouldn't be able to get back all the info I need to
recreate the doc.

> Or am I missing something?  Are these documents so huge that you don't
> want to pull back an entire record for some reason?

I would like to get the record from solr because I just can't create the
record the same way as I originally did.

(Besides the time involved in crawling all those websites, some of them
only allow us access for a limited amount of time, so to reindex, we
need to call them up and schedule a time for them to whitelist us.)