lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Fuad Efendi" <f...@efendi.ca>
Subject RE: SOLR vs SQL
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:52:52 GMT
> Just execute 20 SQL queries with filters........

> Same with SOLR vs. Lucene, standard Lucene queries "filter1:value1 AND
> facet2:value2" ... "filter1:value1 AND facet2:value99" are functionally
the
> same as SOLR faceting (99 docset intersections in RAM) and (sooner or
later)
> implementation and performance will be similar very close (Lucene vs.
> SOLR)...

And here I am totally mistaken, of course SOLR gives you it out-of-the-box
(you don't have to write 99 Lucene queries if your simple attribute has 99
different values); but for SQL, you will have to... it seems possible only
in theory; you really need to be master in SQL to write fast-performing
queries with 'GROUP BY' clauses, and analyze execution plan, etc... :(((

SOLR gives it out-of-the-box.

Thanks!