lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Uri Boness <ubon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Field Collapsing (was Re: Schema for group/child entity setup)
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:57:21 GMT
There's work on the patch that is being done now which will enable you
to ask for specific field values of the collapsed documents using a
dedicated request parameter. This work is not committed yet to the
latest patch, but will be very soon. There is of course a drawback to
that as well, the collapsed documents set can be very large (depends on
your data of course) in which case the returned result which includes
the fields values can be rather large, which will impact performance,
this is why this feature will be enabled only if you specify this extra
parameter - by default no field values will be returned.

AFAIK, the latest patch should work fine with the latest build. Martijn
(which is the main maintainer of this patch) tries to keep it up to date
with the latest builds. But I guess the safest way is to work with the
nightly build of the same date as the latest patch (though I would give
it a try first with the latest build).

BTW, it's not an official suggestion from the Solr development team, but
if you ask me, if you have to choose now whether to use 1.3 or 1.4-dev,
I would go for the later. 1.4 is supposed to be released in the upcoming
week or two and it bring loads of bug fixes, enhancements and extra
functionality. But again, this is my personal suggestion.

cheers,
Uri