lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bernadette Houghton <bernadette.hough...@deakin.edu.au>
Subject RE: encoding problem
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 05:34:11 GMT
Finally resolved the problem! The solution was 3-pronged on my windows PC-

Added to my.ini under mysqld-
default-character-set=utf8
collation_server=utf8_unicode_ci
character_set_server=utf8
skip-character-set-client-handshake

Added to JAVA_OPTS environmental variable –
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

Added to beginning of tomcat startup.bat (positioning is important!)
set JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

Thanks to everyone for their much appreciated help!

Bern

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernadette Houghton [mailto:bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au]
Sent: Monday, 31 August 2009 9:18 AM
To: 'solr-user@lucene.apache.org'
Subject: RE: encoding problem

Still having a few issues with encoding, although I've been able to resolve the particular
issue below by just re-editing the affected record.

The other encoding issue is with Greek characters. With solr turned off in our user-facing
application, greek characters e.g. α,ω (small alpha, small omega) display correctly. But
with solr turned on, garbage displays instead. If we enter the characters as decimal (e.g.
&#969;), all displays OK with or without solr. Does this suggest anything to anyone??

TIA
bern