lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Fuad Efendi" <f...@efendi.ca>
Subject Lucene FieldCache memory requirements
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:05:35 GMT
Hi,

Can anyone confirm Lucene FieldCache memory requirements? I have 100
millions docs with non-tokenized field "country" (10 different countries); I
expect it requires array of ("int", "long"), size of array 100,000,000,
without any impact of "country" field length;

it requires 600,000,000 bytes: "int" is pointer to document (Lucene document
ID),  and "long" is pointer to String value...

Am I right, is it 600Mb just for this "country" (indexed, non-tokenized,
non-boolean) field and 1 million docs? I need to calculate exact minimum RAM
requirements...

I believe it shouldn't depend on cardinality (distribution) of field...

Thanks,
Fuad