lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Paul Rosen <p...@performantsoftware.com>
Subject Merging multicore indexes
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:35:40 GMT
Hi,

I've been trying to experiment with merging, but have been running into
some problems.

First, I'm using ruby and the solr-ruby-0.0.7 gem. It looks like there
is no support in that gem for merging. Have I overlooked something?

Second, I was attempting to just follow the instructions in
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MergingSolrIndexes so I could see merging
work. I just tried putting the sample url in the address bar of my
browser, but it just sent me to the admin page. (It does the same thing
as if I had left off all the parameters.) Here is the URL I constructed:

http://localhost:8983/solr/merged/admin/?action=mergeindexes&core=merged&indexDir=/Users/my/path/solr_1.4/solr/data/reindexed_marc/index&indexDir=/Users/my/path/solr_1.4/solr/data/reindexed_rdf/index

Why didn't that work? Do I have to POST that instead of using GET?

Alternately, is there a way to specify merging from the admin interface?

Third, I've googled for info about merging and not come up with any
solutions, but I did see a possible concern:

Is it true that after merging, that your index can have duplicate
documents? If so, then I need to create a step after merging for
deleting the old copy of everything I merged.

Given all the above, I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just
retrieve each document from the old index and add it to the new index
and forget about merging. I know that would be a slow process, but I'm
not sure how much slower that would be than doing the merge (how long
does that take?), then going through the entire index and eliminating
duplicates.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated,
Paul