lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Farber <pfar...@umich.edu>
Subject Re: How much disk space does optimize really take
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:50:39 GMT

Yonik Seeley wrote:

>> Does this means that there's always a lucene IndexReader holding segment
>> files open so they can't be deleted during an optimize so we run out of disk
>> space > 2x?
>
> Yes.
> A feature could probably now be developed now that avoids opening a
> reader until it's requested.
> That wasn't really possible in the past - due to many issues such as
> Lucene autocommit.

So this implies that for a "normal" optimize, in every case, due to the
Searcher holding open the existing segment prior to optimize that we'd
always need 3x even in the normal case.

This seems wrong since it is repeated stated that in the normal case
only 2x is needed and I have successfully optimized a similar sized 192G
index on identical hardware with a 400G capacity.

Yonik, I'm uncertain then about what you're saying about required disk
space ofr optimize.  Could you clarify?