lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Dan Trainor <dtrai...@toolbox.com>
Subject Re: dose solr sopport distribute index storage ?
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:36:50 GMT
On 10/12/2009 10:49 AM, Chaitali Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How should we setup master and slaves in Solr? What configuration files and parameters
should we need to change and how ?

> Thanks,
> Chaitali

Hi -

I think Shalin was pretty clear on that, it is documented very well at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication .

I am responding, however, to explain something that took me a bit of
time to wrap my brain around in the hopes that it helps you and perhaps
some others.

Solr in itself does not replicate.  Instead, Solr relies on an
underlying rsync setup to keep these indices sync'd throughout the
collective.  When you break it down, its simply rsync with a
configuration file making all the nodes "aware" that they participate in
this configuration.  Wrap a cron around this between all the nodes, and
they simply replicate raw data from one "master" to one or more slave.

I would suggest reading up on how snapshots are preformed and how the
log files are created/what they do.  Of course it would benefit you to
know the ins and outs of all the elements that help Solr replicate, but
its been my experience that most of it has to do with those particular
items.

Thanks
-dant