lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Gerald Snyder <gsny...@ufl.edu>
Subject Re: "begins with" searches
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:25:37 GMT
Are you using the field name suffixes like Blacklight?    xxx_text,
_xxx_facet, xxx_string?   With the xxx_string field you can request
"begins with" search, but you may need some different search term
normalization than with a _text search.

Gerald Snyder
Florida Center for Library Automation

Bernadette Houghton wrote:
> We need to offer "begins with" type searches, e.g. a search for "surname, f" will retrieve
"surname, firstname", "surname, f", "surname fm" etc.

> Ideally, the user would be able to enter something like "surname f*".
>
> However, wildcards don't work on phrase searches, nor do range searches.
>
> Any suggestions as to how best to search for "begins with" phrases; or, how to best configure
solr to support such searches?

> TIA
> Bernadette Houghton, Library Business Applications Developer
> Deakin University Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia.
> Phone: 03 5227 8230 International: +61 3 5227 8230
> Fax: 03 5227 8000 International: +61 3 5227 8000
> MSN: bern_houghton@hotmail.com
> Email: bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au<mailto:bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au>
> Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
> <http://www.deakin.edu.au/>Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B (Vic)
>
> Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee
and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments
immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.