lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shalin Shekhar Mangar <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How much disk space does optimize really take
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:34:54 GMT
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Jason Rutherglen <
jason.rutherglen@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be good to be able to commit without opening a new
> reader however with Lucene 2.9 the segment readers for all
> available segments are already created and available via
> getReader which manages the reference counting internally.
>
> Using reopen redundantly creates SRs that are already held
> internally in IW.

Jason, I think this is something we should consider changing. A user who is
not using NRT features should not pay the price of keeping readers opened.
We are also interested in opening a searcher just-in-time for SOLR-1293. We
have use-cases where a SolrCore is loaded only for indexing and then
unloaded.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.