lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: best way to get the size of an index
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:42:21 GMT

On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Phillip Farber wrote:

> Resuming this discussion in a new thread to focus only on this
> question:
>
> What is the best way to get the size of an index so it does not get
> too big to be optimized (or to allow a very large segment merge)
> given space limits?
>
> I already have the largest 15,000rpm SCSI direct attached storage so
> buying storage is not an option.  I don't do deletes.
>
> From what I've read, I expect no more than a 2x increase during
> optimization and have not seen more in practice.
>
> I'm thinking: stop indexing, commit, do a du.

That sounds reasonable, but on the other thread, I'd still plan for a
3x increase, even if you aren't doing deletes, just to be on the safe
side.

I wonder if there is a way to report it back via Java/Lucene in a
Request Handler or in the Luke Request Handler?  May be worth taking
the time to add.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene: