lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: What to set in query.setMaxRows()?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:57:56 GMT

: Sorry about asking this here, but I can't reach wiki.apache.org right now.
:  What do I set in query.setMaxRows() to get all the rows?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#How_can_I_get_ALL_the_matching_documents_back.3F_..._How_can_I_return_an_unlimited_number_of_rows.3F

How can I get ALL the matching documents back? ... How can I return an
unlimited number of rows?

This is impractical in most cases. People typically only want to do this
when they know they are dealing with an index whose size guarantees the
result sets will be always be small enough that they can feasibly be
transmitted in a manageable amount -- but if that's the case just specify
what you consider a "manageable amount" as your rows param and get the
best of both worlds (all the results when your assumption is right, and a
sanity cap on the result size if it turns out your assumptions are wrong)

-Hoss