lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yonik.see...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: How much disk space does optimize really take
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:56:55 GMT
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Phillip Farber <pfarber@umich.edu> wrote:
> So this implies that for a "normal" optimize, in every case, due to the
> Searcher holding open the existing segment prior to optimize that we'd
> always need 3x even in the normal case.
>
> This seems wrong since it is repeated stated that in the normal case only 2x
> is needed and I have successfully optimized a similar sized 192G index on
> identical hardware with a 400G capacity.

2x for the IndexWriter only.
Having an open index reader can increase that somewhat... 3x is the
absolute worst case I think and that can currently be avoided by first
calling commit and then calling optimize I think.  This way the open
reader will only be holding references to segments that wouldn't be
deleted until the optimize is complete anyway.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com