lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: de-boosting certain facets during search
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 02:14:49 GMT
Paul,

Inline below...

On Nov 9, 2009, at 6:28 PM, Paul Rosen wrote:
> If I could just create the desired URL, I can probably work
> backwards and construct the correct ruby call.

Right, this list will always serve you best if you take the Ruby out
of the equation.  solr-ruby, while cool and all, isn't very well known
by many, but Solr URLs are universal lingo here.

> http://localhost:8983/solr/resources/select?hl.fragsize=600
> &hl=true
> &facet.field=genre
> &facet.field=archive
> &facet.limit=-1
> &qt=standard
> &start=0
> &fq=archive%3A%22blake%22
> &hl.fl=text
> &fl=uri%2Carchive%2Cdate_label%2Cgenre
> &facet=true
> &q=%28history%29
> &rows=60
> &facet.missing=true
> &facet.mincount=1
>
> What this search returns from my index is 53 hits. The first 43
> contain the genre field value "Citation" and the last 10 do not
> (they contain other values in that field.)
>
> Note: the genre field is multivalued, if that matters.

It matters if you want to sort by genre.  It doesn't make sense to
sort by a multivalued field though.

> I'd like the search to put all of the objects that contain genre
> "Citation" below the 10 objects that do not contain that genre.

Are you dogmatic about them _all_ appearing below?  Or might it be ok
if a Citation that has substantially better term matching than another
type of object appear ahead in the results?

> I've read the various pages on boosting, but since I'm not actively
> searching on the field that I want to put a boost value on, I'm not
> sure how to go about this.

How this is done is dependent on the query parser.  You're using the
Lucene query parser.  Something like this might work for you:

     http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=ipod%20%20OR%20%28ipod%20-manu:Belkin%29
^5&debugQuery=true

unurlencoded, that is q=ipod  OR (ipod -manu:Belkin)^5, where the
users query is repeated in a second clause that boosts up all
documents that are not of a particular manufacturer using the example
docs that Solr ships with.

Be sure to use debugQuery=true to look at the score explanations (try
looking at the output in the wt=ruby&indent=on format for best
readability).

Additionally...

> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Paul Rosen wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm using solr-ruby-0.0.8 and solr 1.4.
>> My data contains a faceted field called "genre". We would like one
>> particular genre, (the one named "Citation") to show up last in the
>> results.
>> I'm having trouble figuring out how to add the boost parameter to
>> the solr-ruby call. Here is my code:
>> req = Solr::Request::Standard.new(:start => start,
>>  :rows => max,
>>  :sort => sort_param,
>>  :query => query,
>>  :filter_queries => filter_queries,
>>  :field_list => @field_list,
>>  :facets => {:fields => @facet_fields,
>>    :mincount => 1,
>>    :missing => true,
>>    :limit => -1},
>>  :highlighting => {:field_list => ['text'],
>>    :fragment_size => 600},
>>    :shards => @cores)
>> response = @solr.send(req)
>> Do I just format it inside my query, like this:
>> query = query + "AND genre:Citation^.01"
>> or in filter_query, like this:
>> filter_queries.push("genre:Citation^.01")
>> or is there a hash parameter that I set?

filter queries (fq) do not contribute to the score, so boosting them
makes no score difference at all.

>> (Note that the user can select Citation explicitly. I'll probably
>> special case that.)
>> I've tried variations of the above, but I've had no luck so far.
>> Thanks,
>> Paul

	Erik