lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Tomasz Kępski <tom...@kepski.pl>
Subject Re: Boost document base on field length
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:06:37 GMT
Hi,

> I think i'm reading he question differently then Grant -- his suggestion
> applies when you are searching in the description field, and don't want
> documents with shorter descriptions to score higher when the same terms
> match the same number of times (the default behavior of lengthNorm)

> my udnerstanding is that you want documents that don't have a description
> to score lower then documents that do -- and you might be querying against
> completely differnet fields (description might not even be indexed)
>
> in that case there is no easy way to to achieve this with just the
> description field ... the easy thing to do is to index a boolean
> "has_description" field and then incorporate that into your query (or as
> the input to a function query)

You get my point Hoss. In my case long description = good value. And
your intuition is amazing ;-) I do have a field which is not used in
search at all (image url) but docs with image have for me greater value
than without it.

I would add two fields then (boolean for photo and int for description
length) fill them up during indexation and would play with them during
the search.

Thanks,
Tom