lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Lukáš Vlček <lukas.vl...@gmail.com>
Subject Arguments for Solr implementation at public web site
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:52:00 GMT
Hi,

I am looking for good arguments to justify implementation a search for sites
which are available on the public internet. There are many sites in "powered
by Solr" section which are indexed by Google and other search engines but
still they decided to invest resources into building and maintenance of
their own search functionality and not to go with [user_query site:
my_site.com] google search. Why?

By no mean I am saying it makes not sense to implement Solr! But I want to
put together list of reasons and possibly with examples. Your help would be
much appreciated!

Let's narrow the scope of this discussion to the following:
- the search should cover several community sites running open source CMSs,
JIRAs, Bugillas ... and the like
- all documents use open formats (no need to parse Word or Excel)
(maybe something close to what LucidImagination does for mailing lists of
Lucene and Solr)

My initial kick off list would be:

pros:
- considering we understand the content (we understand the domain scope) we
can fine tune the search engine to provide more accurate results
- Solr can give us facets
- we have user search logs (valuable for analysis)
- implementing Solr is a fun

cons:
- requires resources (but the cost is relatively low depending on the query
traffic, index size and frequency of updates)

Regards,
Lukas

http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/