lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Multiple default search fields or catchall field?
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 08:48:48 GMT
Hi,

I'm indexing feeds and websites referenced by the feeds. So I have as text
fields:
title - from the feed entries title
description - from the feed entries description
text - the websites text

When the user doesn't define a default search field, then all three fields
should be used for search. And I need to have highlighting. However it should
still be possible to search only in title or description.

- Do I need a catchall text field with content copied from all text fields?
- Do I need to store the content in the catchall field as well as in the
individual fields to get highlighting in every case?
- Isn't it a big waste of hard disc space to store the content two times?

Thanks for any help,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro